Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hating Housework

Although I HATE having a cluttered and disorganized house, I HATE housework even more. I'm usually just too tired or unmotivated and I get sick of picking up everyone else's messes. Every once in a while I will get "into" cleaning and if I can make myself stick with it, I'm usually so happy with the result - except that it never lasts. I had a maid who came every other week, but had to let her go for several reasons, one of which was that it's hard to clean a house that is so cluttered. My husband and kids are no help, so I feel like I'm a loser for not having taught any of them how to take care of their things. Interestingly, I DO take care of MY stuff - I hang up MY clothes and don't leave MY stuff all over the house.

Any tips or thoughts??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hear you. I hate spending all of my free time cleaning and organizing. I'm lucky in that my husband picks up--he isn't so good at the actual cleaning part, though.

Right now we have a few rooms that REALLY need to be purged and organized. Our biggest problem is too much crap not put away properly.

One thing that I've been trying lately that seems to be working (organizing wise) is to organize one little area at a time. Like one shelf in a closet, one basket of clothes or one drawer.

Could you set up some sort of cleaning chart that makes sure everyone is doing their fair share? I know it is so disheartening when everyone is making the messes but you're the only one cleaning them up.

Sarah said...

I am no help. I just scramble around crazily trying to clean whenever there's a spare moment. It seems to work, but I don't really like the arrangement. It makes me feel frazzled and resentful.

Constance the ninety-ninth said...

Desperate, Yes! Resentful is it!

C3, I like the idea of tackling just a small piece at a time. I get SO overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. Thanks!

Doing my best said...

I rather like: "You have 5 minutes to pick up anything in the ______ (family room, kitchen, bedroom...) that you want to keep" and then I go through with a garbage bag. You'd be amazed how fast people can move when properly motivated =). Another one I like is picking up things like socks or shoes (things they will end up needing) and then charging them money to get them back. Right now we have a $0.25 per sock charge. Get creative; this could be fun =)!